Event planning is a challenging profession, and sometimes a little inspiration is needed to help to get through the peaks and valleys, no matter how rewarding they may be. So whether you’re just starting out as an event planner or you’re looking for ways to refresh your established business, these 22 event planning quotes are here to support you, inspire you, and maybe even give you a laugh or two.
Save these event planning quotes — spoken by planners, authors, scientists, musicians, philosophers, and more — for whenever you need a little pick-me-up. Screenshot your favorites for a phone or tablet background, write them in your planner, or print the best ones for your bulletin board.
Explore 22 of our favorite event planning quotes:
1. “Always remember the reason why you started, especially in those moments when self-doubt comes in. The reason you started will always pull you out of the shadows.” – Lily Ehumadu
2. “An event is not over until everyone is tired of talking about it.” – Mason Cooley
3. “A clear vision, backed by definite plans, gives you a tremendous feeling of confidence and personal power.” – Brian Tracy
4. “The days of serving a vegetarian a bowl of overcooked pasta while everyone else eats filet and shrimp are over.” – Cassie Brown
5. “Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful.” – Hazrat Inayat Khan
6. “Spontaneity is one of the joys of existence, especially if you prepare for it in advance.” – Alan Dean Foster
7. “If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.” – Dean Smith
8. “Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.” – Gloria Steinem
9. “To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time.” – Leonard Bernstein
10. “A bad plan is better than no plan, and the most important quality of any plan is the flexibility to change.” – Judson L. Moore
11. “The first rule for choosing vendors is to avoid those who suggest your budget isn’t sufficient. The planning process should be about taking your ideas and making them work.” – Mindy Weiss
12. “Mile by mile one hits the milestone.” – Amit Kalantri
13. “If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first four hours sharpening the ax.” – Abraham Lincoln
14. “’Plan B’ might have been ‘Plan A’ all along.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
15. “I’m in charge of thinking of things before people know they need them.” – Joan Harris (fictional character on Mad Men)
16. “If creature comforts (room temperature, proper food and drink, places to sit, etc.) have been addressed, you have creative license to entertain and design with as progressive or unorthodox of an approach as desired – there are no rules.” – Kristin Banta
17. “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
18. “She knows herself to be at the mercy of events, and she knows by now that events have no mercy.” – Margaret Atwood
19. “People make events into stories. Stories give events meaning.” – Scarlett Thomas
20. “We overestimate the event and underestimate the process. Every fulfilled dream occurred because of dedication.” – John C. Maxwell
21. “I’m always saying to my friends and my family and my clients, let’s just multiply this thing. Not one beautiful inflatable unicorn in the swimming pool, let’s have 20. It’s a simple idea but it will make a big impact.” – Bryan Rafanelli
22. “Whether I am working with an individual on life goals or a company on a big event, I create, I coach and I empower. The ultimate story I like to tell is to love others as you would like to be loved yourself,” – DeJane Hill
Bookmark these event planning quotes for later!
Up next, move past the motivation and check out event budgeting tips every planner needs to know. Then, be sure you’re equipped with all of the essential tools to make your planning flourish — starting with Cvent Event Diagramming.