Signs are an important part of our day-to-day life, whether we think about it or not. They tell us when to stop in traffic, direct us how to get to where we want to go, tell us what to look at, and so on. With so many signs surrounding us all the time, choosing ones that stand out can be uniquely difficult — especially when it comes to the world of meetings and events. That’s where these event signage ideas come in.
In this post, we’re going to dig into why signs really matter and, more specifically, how choosing the right sign can have a strong impact on the success of an event, the promotion of a business, and so on. Save this guide for your next big event and order event signage that’s sure to make an impact.
Why is event signage important?
We are very visual beings. In fact, almost 90% of all the information that gets sent to our brains is visual. With such a high number of adult consumers believing “what you see is what you get,” it’s vital to convince consumers that they are seeing a product or brand of high quality. Signs can have a large impact on the first impression potential customers get as well.
How should I use event signage?
Event signage is used in a variety of ways. It can be used to advertise a brand, business, or product, as well as direct people to a physical location.
For example, event signage can be used to:
- Advertise sponsorships
- Display product information
- Drive brand awareness
- Interact with event attendees
- Guide customers to a location
- Promote products and events
- Encourage attendees to share content on social media
The possibilities are almost limitless.
10 event signage ideas that stand out
We’ve included 10 different event signage ideas that are designed to leave a positive and lasting impact on event attendees. Explore these ideas and find inspiration for your next event signage design.
- Marketing and brand managers interested in incorporating gorgeous event lighting into their signage should explore adding marquee signs to their next event setup. Available in a wide variety of sizes and styles, from rustic to sleek and modern, light-up marquee letters can be used to advertise just about anything.
- Custom wooden signs are rustic, practical, and personable. Easily customizable and available in all shapes and sizes, custom wooden signs are perfect for wedding venues, caterers, and other businesses that provide event planning services. Wood signs are also popular choices among companies that offer outdoor recreation-related goods and services.
- Similar to wooden signs, chalkboard signs have also become a popular option for event planners and marketing managers in the last decade. These customizable signs are seen at wedding buffets, social events, corporate trade show exhibition booths, and a variety of other event locations. Chalkboards are an easy-to-clean and easy-to-redesign event signage option that can be tweaked from day to day. With the invention of chalkboard markers, designs can be more vibrant and intricate than ever before.
- Incorporating branded staff t-shirts is a simple, effective way to turn people into walking advertisements for a business or event. Design an attractive graphic to draw attention to the attire, add humor, or incorporate a catchy slogan on a limited-edition event t-shirt to help the advertisement stick in the minds of visitors.
- Add inflatable signs to your event setup to capture the eye of passersby. We’ve all seen the inflatable tube men outside of large stores and dealerships, right? They certainly make a statement! Inflatable signs are also easy to transport as they take up much less space deflated; just be sure to bring an air pump with you and ask for access to electricity to avoid hand-pumping inflatable signage. Consider adding a branded inflatable sign for 3D advertising on stage at your next event.
- Art installations are an incredibly unique way to incorporate non-traditional event signage into a setup, especially at events that attract artistic consumers. Consider designing an installation if your business will be setting up at musical festivals, art walks, or other outdoor events. Use art installations to direct guests to your booth, to the event itself, or to advertise a business in an attention-grabbing way.
- Suspended signs and custom hanging banners can help improve visibility at crowded events like trade shows and conventions. These events are often packed full of company booths, making it difficult for event attendees to see all of the different setups. By incorporating a display that hangs from the ceiling, you can draw attendees’ eyes right to your table. Be sure to double-check with the venue prior to the vent to ask about their sign policies before ordering ceiling displays.
- Display information, images, and other details by using digital signs in your next event. Through electronic screens, digital displays are able to draw attention, display information, and communicate important details to event attendees. Event technology trends have even led to interactive digital displays that allow attendees to engage with brand marketing directly through touchscreens. There are many different styles of digital signs that marketing managers can choose from based on their objective and budget.
- Advertise on the step and repeat backdrop at an event to have a business showcased in all of the “red carpet” photos. Step and repeat backdrops usually include repeating images, such as emblems or logos, related to the event and event sponsors.
- Street art like murals, painted roads, and graffiti have become a hot trend in the world of event marketing. Hire a popular local artist to help you communicate with consumers through the power of artistic expression, especially at events created for Millenials.
Frequently asked questions about event signage
How expensive is event signage?
The cost of event signage can vary greatly depending on the size, design, materials, and type of signage you’re looking to create. A simple banner may cost as little as $40, for example, while the average sign installation costs ranged from $165-$710 in 2020.
What are some DIY event signage ideas?
Marketing managers on a budget may be on the hunt for low-cost event signage or interested in designing event banners themselves. Brand managers blessed with artistic abilities can create their own event signage, and those of us without the ability to draw can take advantage of printable templates from home. If you have piles of extra wood or other materials laying around, brainstorm creative ways to repurpose excess materials into your event signage.
How many event signs should I have?
The number of event signs you incorporate into your setup should be partially determined based on the space available to you and the type of event. At outdoor events, multiple yard signs may be incorporated into your setup, as well as a hanging banner, table cover, or on your tent. Adding more than a couple of signs to a smaller space, such as a 10×10 trade show booth design, for example, could be seen as excessive by attendees.
Where can I purchase event signage?
Companies like Vistaprint, Signs Now, and even Staples all give users the ability to create custom advertising for events. Design banners, signs, posters, and more by uploading created images (such as a company logo), choosing from built-in templates, or by designing your own. Event signage can also be found on Etsy, Amazon, and in a multitude of other places. Search for specific sign types or by price points to narrow down your search.