In a rapidly evolving digital landscape, event technology continues to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’ve already seen how transforming the way event planners and venues create, manage, and host gatherings has drastically changed the landscape in the past few years. And it’s only just getting started.
In this article, we’ll delve into the cutting-edge and up-and-coming event technology options that are reshaping the industry and catering to the diverse needs of event planners, venues, and attendees alike.
Cutting edge event technology tools, apps, and software
We’ve gathered the top tools for every major category of event planning trends and needs. Check out our favorite tools and how you can use them.
These are innovative tools and software designed to assist event planners and organizers in efficiently managing various aspects of event preparation. It could involve applications for creating schedules, managing budgets, coordinating logistics, sending invitations, and overall streamlining the planning process.
- Clickup. ClickUp serves as project management software crafted to assist individuals, small teams, and businesses with project planning. It tackles everything from event planning, task allocation, and progress tracking. This platform was ingeniously developed as a central hub where teams could convene and work together seamlessly within a unified workspace.
- Cvent’s event planning suite. In essence, Cvent simplifies the event planning process by providing a comprehensive suite of tools that span from event inception to execution. Its user-friendly interface, coupled with its ability to scale to events of varying sizes and complexities, has made it a go-to solution for event planners across industries.
This section pertains to advanced solutions that help event planners identify, secure, and manage the necessary resources for an event. These resources could include venues, equipment, catering services, entertainment, and more. This technology aims to simplify the process of finding and contracting with suppliers or partners.
- HireX. HireX makes it possible to effortlessly organize virtual recruitment events of any magnitude. Leading names such as Tesla, Trinity Health, and Target harness the power of HireX to “slash their cost-per-hire by 31%”. The platform boasts an array of features encompassing individualized video conversations, real-time messaging, automated screening, insightful reporting, and beyond.
- Intelligent Sourcing Cockpit. A comprehensive solution for decision-making, initiating sourcing actions, and overseeing quotation statuses – all in one place. This tool harnesses the capabilities of the SAP Ariba platform as a dedicated hub for generating and collaborating on “Direct Material” sourcing events.
- Vendor Marketplace. This sourcing directory can help event planners find vendors for all aspects of their events, from A/V to lighting to catering. The tool allows vendors to build a custom listing to showcase all of the capabilities, and vendors can begin receiving requests as soon as their listing is active.
Technology can enhance the environmental and social sustainability of events. These tools help reduce waste, monitor and minimize energy consumption, promote eco-friendly practices among attendees, and assess the overall carbon footprint of an event.
- No Big Deal. Infuse a sense of playfulness into well-being efforts for an exceptionally uplifting experience among your team. No Big Deal empowers brands to establish well-being initiatives rooted in empathy and sustainability, fostering a sense of community. Event planners can encourage their community to take on challenges like walking 50,000 steps to contribute to rainforest tree planting as part of their greater event initiatives.
- Cvent’s Sustainability Tracker. Event organizers can effectively monitor and enhance the ecological impact of their events with Cvent’s suite of sustainability related tools. You can reduce waste by decreasing single-use items, track and manage your own event’s sustainability, and find suppliers known for sustainability all within the app. Additionally, Cvent’s tools facilitate the reduction of travel-related emissions, aligning with eco-friendly practices and reducing the carbon footprint associated with event attendance.
For event attendees
These technological innovations are aimed at improving the experience of event attendees. It could involve mobile apps that provide real-time schedules, interactive maps, networking opportunities, and engagement features like live polls or Q&A sessions. The goal is to enhance attendees’ participation and satisfaction.
- vFairs. vFairs significantly boosts event attendee engagement by offering dynamic virtual booths, live chat and video chat interactions, and webinars and live sessions. Attendees can network in interactive lounges and enjoy gamified event experiences they will actually look forward to. These interactive features create an immersive environment that encourages active participation, meaningful networking, and valuable knowledge exchange for attendees.
- Cvent OnArrival. Cvent OnArrival is a streamlined event check-in solution that simplifies and accelerates the attendee registration process. Painless entry means getting to the fun faster for attendees. Seamlessly integrated with the broader Cvent platform, OnArrival enables event organizers to efficiently manage guest check-ins, print badges, collect payments, and swiftly handle on-site registration tasks. By offering a user-friendly mobile app and self-service kiosks, OnArrival enhances the attendee experience all while providing real-time insights into attendance data for event organizers.
Event technology to know in 2023 and beyond
- Use smart planning tools. The heart of any successful event lies in meticulous planning. Event technology has stepped up in this arena, offering planners sophisticated tools for seamless coordination. AI-powered event management platforms now assist in tasks ranging from scheduling and vendor management to budgeting and guest list organization. These tools not only save time but also enhance accuracy, ensuring that no detail goes unnoticed.
- Sourcing solutions. Finding the perfect vendors and suppliers can be a daunting task. However, emerging sourcing technologies are simplifying this process. Online marketplaces dedicated to event services allow planners and venues to efficiently browse, compare, and secure vendors, from catering to entertainment. With detailed reviews and transparent pricing, these platforms empower stakeholders to make informed decisions tailored to their event’s unique requirements.
- Align with sustainability innovations. As sustainability takes center stage, event technology is aligning with eco-conscious efforts. Cutting-edge tools now assist planners and venues in reducing their environmental footprint. Waste-reduction algorithms, sustainable sourcing platforms, and energy-efficient event spaces are just a few examples. Additionally, real-time carbon footprint calculators provide insights into the ecological impact of events, enabling organizers to make greener choices.
- Engage through immersive experiences. Attendees crave experiences that captivate and immerse them. Event technology is answering this call with interactive solutions like augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). These technologies offer a new dimension of engagement, from interactive event maps and virtual venue tours to gamified networking sessions. Such innovations not only enhance attendee enjoyment but also open doors to creative branding opportunities.
- Make personalized engagement. Tailoring experiences to individual preferences is becoming increasingly essential. Event technology is facilitating this through data-driven insights. Advanced analytics tools help planners and venues understand attendee behaviors. This enables them to curate personalized schedules, recommend relevant sessions, and suggest meaningful connections. This customization fosters a sense of belonging and encourages return attendance.
- Enhance check-ins to be seamless. The days of long queues at event entrances are waning, thanks to event technology. Facial recognition and QR code-based check-in systems expedite the entry process, minimizing wait times and ensuring a smooth start to the event. This not only enhances attendee satisfaction but also allows organizers to gather valuable data for future improvements.
- Optimize the use of AI-enhanced networking. Networking is a cornerstone of events, and AI amplifies its potential. Intelligent matchmaking algorithms analyze attendee profiles and preferences, suggesting relevant contacts for meaningful networking. AI-driven chatbots further facilitate communication, providing instant information and assistance throughout the event.
- Use hybrid event solutions. Cutting-edge event technology seamlessly integrates the in-person and virtual experiences, offering virtual attendees live-streamed sessions, interactive Q&A opportunities, and even virtual networking lounges. This inclusive approach widens event reach and accommodates diverse participation preferences. Live streaming enables organizers to disseminate event highlights like keynote addresses and panel discussions to remote participants unable to join in person.
- Enable real-time feedback mechanisms. Gone are the days of waiting weeks for post-event surveys. Real-time feedback technology allows attendees to provide instant opinions, enabling organizers to make on-the-fly adjustments. This iterative process fosters an environment of continuous improvement and demonstrates to attendees that their voices are heard.
- Empower sustainability tech for attendees. Empowering attendees to participate in sustainability efforts is gaining traction. Apps that encourage carpooling, provide eco-friendly lodging options, and suggest local, sustainable dining choices are becoming integral to the event experience. By making sustainable choices more accessible, event technology contributes to a collective eco-conscious endeavor.
- Practically apply data to decision-making. One of the defining trends of 2023 is the application of data-driven insights to steer event curation and decision-making. With the dawn of advanced technologies for data analysis, event planners now wield more potent tools for data gathering and interpretation. They can use it to better implement strategies and find actionable insights during event debriefs.
Frequently asked questions about event technology
What is event technology?
Event technology refers to the use of various technological tools and solutions to enhance and optimize the planning, management, promotion, and overall experience of events. Some common aspects of event technology include:
- Event management software. These are platforms that help with tasks such as event registration, ticketing, attendee management, scheduling, and logistics coordination.
- Mobile apps. Dedicated event apps provide attendees with essential event information, schedules, maps, speaker profiles, and networking opportunities. They can also enable real-time updates and interaction during the event.
- Virtual and hybrid event solutions. With the rise of online and hybrid events, technology plays a crucial role in facilitating virtual engagement, live streaming, video conferencing, and interactive sessions.
- Audience engagement tools. These tools enhance attendee engagement through features like live polling, Q&A sessions, gamification, social media integration, and interactive sessions.
- Event analytics and data insights. Technology allows organizers to collect and analyze data on attendee behavior, preferences, and engagement, helping them make informed decisions for future events.
- RFID and NFC technology. Radio-frequency identification (RFID) and near-field communication (NFC) are used for attendee tracking, access control, cashless payments, and personalized experiences.
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). These technologies can provide immersive experiences, from virtual venue tours to interactive product demonstrations.
- Networking platforms. Technology can facilitate matchmaking between attendees, making it easier for participants to connect with others who share similar interests or goals.
- Live streaming and webcasting. These technologies enable remote audiences to access live content and sessions, expanding an event’s reach.
- Data security and privacy tools. As events collect sensitive data, technology helps ensure data security and compliance with privacy regulations.
- Event marketing and promotion tools. Social media, email marketing, and online advertising tools play a significant role in promoting events and attracting attendees.
- Smart badges and wearable technology. These devices can enhance networking by allowing attendees to exchange contact information digitally and collect data on interactions.
How has technology changed the meetings and events industry?
The short answer: technology has changed every aspect of what event planners do.
Technology has brought about a profound transformation in the event industry, reshaping every facet of how events are conceived, executed, and experienced. The advent of event management software and online platforms has streamlined the once labor-intensive planning process, making it possible to automate time-consuming tasks like registration and logistics coordination.
Attendees benefit too! They can now enjoy an enriched experience thanks to personalized mobile apps, interactive sessions, and networking platforms that facilitate real-time engagement. And with the steady use of virtual and hybrid events, it’s made it possible for attendees to participate from around the world.
And let’s not forget the holy grail of any savvy event planner’s toolkit: data. Event technology empowers planners to gather and analyze valuable insights on attendee behavior, preferences, and engagement more than ever before. There are so many benefits for using data for strategic event planning including, but not limited to, the ability to customize content and facilitate meaningful engagement.
Once collected, data can even serve as a compass for refining future events and avoiding common event planning mistakes. And through interactive tools like live polls, Q&A sessions, and gamification, planners can make the experience far more interactive than before. Plus, social media integration fuels real-time sharing and event visibility.
Not to mention networking opportunities have flourished as well, with platforms and apps connecting like-minded attendees to cultivate meaningful interactions before, during, and after events.
Event technology has also elevated event security through innovations like digital badges, facial recognition, and enhanced access control systems. At the same time, the monetization landscape has expanded with online platforms enabling revenue generation through virtual tickets, pay-per-view live streams, and digital sponsorships.
So really, the better question is how hasn’t technology changed the event industry?
The future of event technology
The landscape of event technology is ever-changing and full of possibilities.
From streamlined planning and immersive experiences to sustainable innovations and real-time engagement, the future of events is being shaped by these cutting-edge technologies. Event planners and venues that embrace these advancements stand to create remarkable experiences that resonate with attendees and leave a lasting impact.
As you delve into the world of event technology, remember that successful integration depends on understanding your unique event needs. Stay open to experimentation, keep a pulse on emerging trends, and be willing to adapt. By harnessing the power of event technology, you’re not just planning an event, you’re crafting a memorable journey.